TLW ~ Basic English ~ Role Plays and Structures
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2019. All rights reserved.
~ Contents ~ Basic Text Talk ~ Topic 3 ~ Meeting People ~
Past tense verbs are used to talk about events beginning and ending in the past.
1) Did + noun/pronoun + simple present verb + phrase
example: Did you get an e-mail/any e-mails yesterday?
2) Wh– question + did + noun/pronoun + simple present verb + phrase
example: Who did you get an e-mail from yesterday?
Q1: Did you watch TV yesterday? When? What programs?
Q2: Who did you meet last weekend? What did you do?
Q3: What did you eat for breakfast? Did you cook it?
Q4: Where did you go last Saturday? Who with?
Q5: How many times did you clean your home last month?
Q6: What did you do on your last birthday?
Q7: Did you take a bus yesterday? Where did you go?
Q8: Who did you meet in elementary school? Are you still friends?
Q9: What did you buy yesterday? Where?
Q10: Where did you go on your last holiday? Who with?
List of past tense verbs (regular –ed and irregular other than –ed):
ate drank cooked brushed ran walked smiled laughed cried went came wrote studied took
washed combed opened closed sat stood shared brought read sang listened counted had
drew played thought called met talked told gave said slept got up woke up watched
List of adverbs of time:
yesterday, a minute ago, a few days ago, last Saturday, last time, last week, a week ago, several weeks ago, a long time ago, not long ago, a while ago, this morning, yesterday afternoon, last night...
Make some of your own questions using past tense verbsíŽ
Talk ~ Role Play
A) How was your visit with your friend/aunt/grandpa/granddaughter/etc. ?
B) It was OK. We met at ________________________________________ .
A) What did you do there?
B) We _______________________ and __________________________ .
A) Did you have a good time?
B1) No, not at all.
B2) Well, it wasn't bad.
B3) Yes, very much .
A) Tell me about it.
B) Well, first of all, we ________________________________________________ .
B) Then we ________________________________________________________.
B) After that, we ___________________ and then we_________________________.
A) When will you meet them again?
B) Probably _________________________________________________________ .
A) What will you do?
B) I don't know, maybe we will ____________________________________________ .
1) To begin with, as a class, in groups, in pairs, look up, talk about, and practice the role play vocabulary
2) Then, fill in the blanks according to the topic (assisted by students, the teacher, and the internet)
3) After that, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, practice the role plays you have created
4) Next, try to make variations in your responses (remember role plays doní»t have to be true)
5) Finally, perform your role play in front of the class with a partner or several partners
(Challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues. Enjoy the process)