© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2018. All rights reserved.
TLW ~ Basic English ~ Role Plays and Structures
1) To begin with, as a class, in groups, in pairs, look up, talk about, and practice the role play vocabulary
2) Then, fill in the blanks according to the topic (assisted by students, the teacher, and the internet)
3) After that, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, practice the role plays you have created
4) Next, try to make variations in your responses (remember role plays don¡¯t have to be true)
5) Finally, perform your role play in front of the class with a partner or several partners
(Challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues. Enjoy the process)
~ Contents ~ Basic Text Talk ~ Topic 5 ~ Friends ~
An infinitive is the basic or dictionary form of a verb
It is made by adding "to" to a basic verb
When it follows an actual verb, you make the structures below:
Example questions: ¡°trigger¡± verb (green) + infinitive (purple)
Q1: Who do you want to meet (this weekend)? Why?
Q2: What do you hope to do (in the future)? For what reason?
Q3: Where do you plan to go (on your next holiday)? Where?
Q4: How often do you forget to call your family? Why?
Q5: When do you expect to retire? What will you do?
Q6: What can/can¡¯t you afford to buy this/next month?
Q7: Where do you prefer to sit at a restaurant? Why?
Q8: What do you tend to do when you are nervous?
Q9: Which famous person would you love to meet? Why?
Q10: Where do you wish to travel before you die? Why?
Select or make some of your own questions using infinitives
Talk ~ Role Play
A) What is one of your friend's names?
B) His/Her name is _____________________________ .
A) When did you first meet? I mean, the first time you met.
B) We met _________________________________________________ .
A) What did you do when you first met? I mean, the first few months or so.
B) We ____________________________________________________ .
A) Tell me about him/her?
B) Well, ___________________________________________________ .
A) How often do you meet now? I mean, presently.
B) We meet (once/twice/three times) a (week/month/year).
A) What do you do together?
B) We ________________________ and __________________________ .
A) Have you ever taken a trip together?
B1) No. Not yet.
B2) Yes. Once, we went to ____________________________________ .
B3) Yes. We sometimes take trips. Last time, we went to_____________________ .