1) To begin with, as a class, in groups, in pairs, look up, talk about, and practice the role play vocabulary
2) Then, fill in the blanks according to the topic (assisted by students, the teacher, and the internet)
3) After that, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, practice the role plays you have created
4) Next, try to make variations in your responses (remember role plays don¡¯t have to be true)
5) Finally, perform your role play in front of the class with a partner or several partners
(Challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues. Enjoy the process)
~ Contents ~ Basic Text Talk ~ Topic 16 ~ Idioms Related to Time ~
Talk ~ Role Play
A) In your country, tell about someone who hit the big time.
B) Let¡¯s see, _________________________________________ .
A) What did he/she accomplish? How did he/she succeed?
B) He/she __________________________________________ .
A) Do you think money can buy a happy life?
B1) Yes, I do. I think ___________________________________ .
B2) No I don¡¯t. (Extra Q: Why not?)
A) Which country in the modern world has the best chance for success?
B) Perhaps ______________ has the best chance for succeeding.
A) Why do you think so?
B) Well, ___________________________________________ .
A) If you went to school again, what subject would you study?
B) If I went to ______________ I would ___________________ .
A) Tell me why you would choose that field of study.
B) Well, I think ______________________________________ .
A Do you have a role model?
B) Let me see... I like _____________________________________ .
A) Why do you look up to this person/these people?
B) Well, he/she __________________________________________ .
TLW ~ Basic English ~ Role Plays and Structures
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2019. All rights reserved.
Idiom: Expressions whose meanings are not the same as the definition of its words.
Idioms often ¡°paint a picture¡± in the mind and are often visual in nature.
Q1: Who is or was a person ahead of his/her time? Why?
Q2: What part of your culture is behind the times? Explain.
Q3: Tell us about when you had the time of your life? Tell.
Q4: What movie will stand the test of time? Why so?
Q5: When does time fly for you? Give an example.
Q6: Who is or was a person behind his/her time? Explain.
Q7: What part of your culture is ahead of the times? Explain.
Q8: Tell us about the worst time of your life.
Q9: What book will stand the test of time?
Q10: When doesn¡¯t time fly for you? What makes you bored?
Extra: Expressing opinions
1) I think/ I guess _______________________ .
2) I don¡¯t know, maybe ____________________ .
Can you make questions of your own? Give it a try.