~ Dialog ~ Topic 16 ~ Fads, Trends, and Fashion ~ Choose the questions you like ~
1) What is a trend? Is it difficult to define? Is it the same as a fad? If not, how so?
2) Do you pay attention to trends in your country? How do they affect your life?
3) Do you pay attention to global trends? How do they affect your life?
4) What were some fads or trends when you were in high school? Are they still popular?
5) What were some fads or trends when you were in college? Are they still popular?
1) What are some fads or trends in your country now? How did they come about?
2) Why do you think people follow trends? Is it because of a lack of imagination? Explain.
3) What fad or trend influenced you most in your life (music, fashion, art, sports, etc.)?
4) Who creates fads and/or trends? Is it conscious? If so, are there negative consequences?
5) What is the role of media when it comes to fads and/or trends? How pervasive is it?
1) What are the current trends in fashion? Do you care? Why or why not?
2) What are the current trends in smart phones? What apps are trendy? Why?
3) What are the current trends in TV, books, and/or movies? Why do you think so?
4) What are the current trends in music? Is music as influential as it was in the past? How so?
5) What can you learn about your culture by examining/deconstructing the current trends?
1) What can you learn about global culture by examining/deconstructing the current trends?
2) Who is the most influential person in your country? Why do you think so?
3) Who is the most influential person in the global community? Why do you think so?
4) How do you define non-conformity? Is it an act of rebellion against trends? How so?
5) Are trends a healthy aspect of society? How so? Can we live without trends?
1) What is your favorite clothing brand? Why do you like it? How much do you spend on it?
2) What are the most popular makes of cars in your country? Why do people want them?
3) What do you think of fur? Should it be banned? Why do people want to protect animals?
4) Will fashion be important in the future? What situations could cause the end of fashion?
5) What role does fashion play in a democratic society? in an autocratic society?
~ Discuss with a teacher, in pairs, or in groups ~ Then share your results in a classroom discussion ~
1) To begin with, in groups or in pairs, select the questions you¡¯d like to talk about.
2) Then, in pairs or in groups, ask questions and share ideas in your conversations .
3) Finally, share your ideas (as a whole) in a classroom discussion (with all pairs/groups).
~ TLW ~ Conversation Questions and Shared Dialog ~
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2017. All rights reserved.