~ Dialog ~ Topic 20 ~ The Future ~ Choose the questions you like ~
1)What could be a problem in your future? How could you avoid it?
Money. No one can avoid it. When we get old we need money. The government
cannot take care of everyone. People live longer and have fewer resources.
2) Will climate change affect employment? How? What jobs will be required?
Yes. Let¡¯s face the facts. Many jobs are now affected by drought, flood, and other
3) Is there anything that doesn't exist that could improve life? Describe.
I suppose we could desalinate enough water to service the entire planet and pump
it to everyone using wind and solar power. Vertical urban gardens could feed the masses.
4) What kind of developments might be possible in health care in the future?
The question in the back of everyone¡¯s mind is how old/healthy do we want
to be when we die. Prolonging life by technology could have multiple backlashes.
5) Do you think the educational systems will/need to change in the future?
Yes. Memorizing facts has always been boring for students. Positive change will
require new modes of interaction. We must develop a human side of technology.
6) What is your view on world population? Describe the situation in your country?
It¡¯s possible there are too many people on the planet. I understand why couples
choose not to have children. There are enough people but not enough resources.
7) What are your personal plans for the future? What do you really want to do?
I¡¯d like to write a book. I don¡¯t know what kind: novel, short stories, poems,
essays, science, memoir, or even a children¡¯s book. That¡¯s something I¡¯d like to do.
8) What are you optimistic about regarding your future? Why? Describe.
I¡¯m optimistic about my family. If we stick together, we can solve our problems.
There are many kinds of danger in the world, so we must support each other.
9) What are you pessimistic about regarding the future? Why? Describe.
I¡¯m pessimistic about the environment. I wonder if the leaders can address it
in time. The clock seems to be ticking backward. Too little will be too late.
10) How will the "world order" change in the next twenty years? How so?
My guess is that it will remain the same. I think China will level off. India will
become a Hindu technocracy. The USA will return to normal. Trilateralism.
More questions/Free Talk ~ the original 25 questions ~
~ Topic 20 ~ The Future ~ FOOD for thoughT ~ Internet ~
Climate scientists expect to see the following changes within decades to hundreds of years:
¡¤ Retreating or vanishing glacial ice
¡¤ Disappearance of year-round sea ice in the Arctic
The following changes are likely to occur over hundreds to thousands of years:
¡¤ Changes in melt patterns on Greenland Ice Sheet
¡¤ Increased rates of flows of ice streams in Greenland and Antarctica
¡¤ Increase in thermal expansion of ocean
¡¤ Disappearance of West Antarctic Ice Sheet
¡¤ Ocean acidification (related to CO2 emissions rather than warming)
Changes to the Seasons
Though Earth will always have distinct seasons because of its tilted axis, one expected signal of climate change is a shift in the length and character of summer and winter seasons. In general, summer temperatures will arrive earlier than they currently do, especially at high latitudes.
Additionally, they will be hotter and last longer than they do now. Future winters will arrive later and be shorter and warmer. Around the world, climatologists have already observed increases in the number of days of record heat, and concurrent decreases in the number of days of record cold.
~ Print Textbook ~ Topics 13 through 24 ~
~ Lesson Procedures ~
1) To begin with, as a class, in groups or in pairs study and talk about sections one and two.
2) Then, select the questions you¡¯d like to talk about from section one or from more questions.
3) After that, share your ideas in your conversations. Take equal turns.
4) Finally, make your own questions and create discussion.
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2019. All rights reserved.
~ TLW ~ Conversation Questions and Shared Dialog ~