~ How to Make a Lesson ~
1) In the first section, fill in the blanks, then practice your role plays on your own.
2) Then, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, perform the role plays you have created.
3) After that, perform your role play in class with a partner/several partners.
4) Finally, challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues.
5) In the second section, briefly discuss the form as a class. Avoid over-analysis.
6) Select two questions from the list. Practice with a partner, then in front of the class.
7) You may wish to discuss the form (section two) before the role play (section one).
Section One ~ Basic-Talk 102 ~ Talking About Relatives/Relations ~ Role Play Practice ~
A) Do you have any aunts or uncles?
(No. I don’t/Yes. I have several/Yes. I have____aunts and_____uncles.)
A) How about nephews and nieces?
B) ______________________________________________ .
(No. I don’t/Yes. I have several/Yes. I have____nephews and_____neices.)
A) Do you ever meet your relatives/relations?
B) Never/Not very often/Sometimes/Pretty often/Always. (choose one)
A) Where do you meet them?
B) Sometimes ______________________ or _____________________.
A) What do you do together?
B) We ______________________ or ____________________________.
A) Who is your favorite relative/relation?
B) Hmm. I really like my________________________________________.
A) Is there any reason?
B) Probably because he/she ____________________________________ .
“Relatives” are kin (related by blood/DNA) in North America.
“Relations” are kin (related by blood/DNA) in British contexts.
“Immediate families” include household members (and pets).
“Extended families” include everyone else (even close friends).
Section Two ~ Form-Talk 102 ~ Adverbs of Frequency ~ Dialogue Practice ~
Verb (Do/Does) + Pronoun + "Ever" + Object
Do you ever ________________________________?
Does your friend/spouse ever _______________________?
1) No, I never eat broccoli. (0%)
2) I rarely see cats at the sea. (1 to 10%)
3) I seldom watch sunsets. (10 to 15%)
4) Yes, I occasionally drink Scotch whiskey. (15 to 30%)
5) Yes, I sometimes lose my temper. (30 to 55%)
6) Yes, I usually go to the gym. (55% to 75%)
7) Yes, I often cook for my family. (75 to 85%)
8) Yes, I frequently think about money. (85 to 95%)
9) Yes, I always take out the garbage. (100%)
Q1: Do you ever play sports? When? Where?
Q2: Do you ever have a party? Why? Who with?
Q3: Does your teacher ever give you homework? Why not?
Q4: Does your mom/dad ever get angry? How about you?
Q5: Does it ever snow where you live? What are the seasons like?
Q6: Do you ever go hiking? Where?
Q7: Do your friends ever invite you out? Where do you go?
Q8: Does your neighbor ever make too much noise? Tell.
Q9: Does your spouse/family ever surprise you? How?
Q10: Do you ever go to public sports games? What’s it like?
Make some of your own questions using the same form.
The Language Works ~ Basic English ~ Lesson 2
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.