~ How to Make a Lesson ~
1) In the first section, fill in the blanks, then practice your role plays on your own.
2) Then, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, perform the role plays you have created.
3) After that, perform your role play in class with a partner/several partners.
4) Finally, challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues.
5) In the second section, briefly discuss the form as a class. Avoid over-analysis.
6) Select two questions from the list. Practice with a partner, then in front of the class.
7) You may wish to discuss the form (section two) before the role play (section one).
Section One ~ Basic-Talk 104 ~ House and Home ~ Role Play Practice ~
A) Do you live in an apartment or a house?
A) When did you move there?
B) I moved there___________________________________________.
(No. I was born there/We moved when I was 7/We moved there__ years ago.)
A) Tell me about your home.
B) There are_____rooms: __________________________________
A) Tell me about your ________________ (choose: living room/kitchen/etc.).
B) Well, my______________________________________________.
A) Do you have any plants in your home?
(No. I don't have any plants/Yes. I have a few/Yes. I really like plants. I have...)
A) How about artwork… like paintings or small sculptures like knick-knacks?
(I don't have any paintings/I have some photos/I really like art. I have…)
"Artwork" includes such formats as painting, drawing, crafts, ceramics, sculpture,
photography, video, calligraphy, design, printmaking, ikebana, and furniture.
Section Two ~ Form-Talk 104 ~ Gerunds ~ Dialogue Practice ~
A gerund is a noun made from a basic verb by adding "-ing."
When it follows an actual verb, you make the structures below.
Example questions: verb (green) + gerund (purple)
Q1: Who do you enjoy meeting in the afternoon? What for?
Q2: What do you like/dislike eating in the morning? Why?
Q3: Where do you avoid going on holidays? Why?
Q4: How often do you postpone cleaning at home?
Q5: What do you waste time doing as a habit?
Q6: Which programs do you like/dislike watching on TV?
Q7: Where do you like/dislike dining out? Why?
Q8: What do you imagine doing in the next few months?
Q9: Who do you spend time hanging out with? What do you do?
Q10: What do you recall doing in high school/at university?
Make some of your own questions using the same form.
The Language Works ~ Basic English ~ Lesson 4
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.