~ How to Make a Lesson ~
1) In the first section, fill in the blanks, then practice your role plays on your own.
2) Then, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, perform the role plays you have created.
3) After that, perform your role play in class with a partner/several partners.
4) Finally, challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues.
5) In the second section, briefly discuss the form as a class. Avoid over-analysis.
6) Select two questions from the list. Practice with a partner, then in front of the class.
7) You may wish to discuss the form (section two) before the role play (section one).
The Language Works ~ Basic English ~ Lesson 5
Section One ~ Basic-Talk 105 ~ Friends ~ Role Play Practice ~
A) What is one of your friend's names?
B) Her/His name is_____________________________.
A) When did you first meet? I mean, the very first time you met.
(We met in elementary school/We met at university/We met at work.)
A) What did you do at that time? I mean, the first few months or so.
(We just hung out and talked/We played soccer/We went out and drank.)
A) Tell me about him/her?
(Use adjectives: outgoing/shy/lazy/diligent/bossy/funny/foolish/smart/cool)
A) How often do you meet now? I mean, presently.
B) We meet (once/twice/three times) a (week/month/year).
A) When did you last meet?
B) We last met_______ hours/days/weeks/months/years ago.
A) What did you do together?
B) We ________________________________________________ .
"First meet" is when you had your first introduction or conversation.
"Last meet" is the most recent time you spent together.
Section Two ~ Form-Talk 105 ~ Infinitives ~ Dialogue Practice ~
An infinitive is the basic or dictionary form of a verb.
It is made by adding "to" to a basic verb.
When it follows an actual verb, you make the structures below:
Example questions: verb (green) + infinitive (purple)
Q1: Who do you want to meet (this weekend)? Why?
Q2: What do you hope to do (in the future)? For what reason?
Q3: Where do you plan to go (on your next holiday)? Where?
Q4: How often do you forget to call/text someone? Why?
Q5: When do you expect to retire? What will you do?
Q6: What can/can’t you afford to buy this/next month/year?
Q7: Where do you prefer to sit at a restaurant? Why?
Q8: What do you tend to do when you are nervous? Tell.
Q9: Which famous person would you love to meet? Why?
Q10: Where do you wish to travel before you die? Why?
Make some of your own questions using the same form.
Places to sit in a room/restaurant: in the front, in the middle, in the back,
near a window (a window seat), in a quiet place, where I can see people,
away from the restrooms, near the kitchen, in a private room, anywhere
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.