~ How to Make a Lesson ~
1) In the first section, fill in the blanks, then practice your role plays on your own.
2) Then, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, perform the role plays you have created.
3) After that, perform your role play in class with a partner/several partners.
4) Finally, challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues.
5) In the second section, briefly discuss the form as a class. Avoid over-analysis.
6) Select two questions from the list. Practice with a partner, then in front of the class.
7) You may wish to discuss the form (section two) before the role play (section one).
The Language Works ~ Basic English ~ Lesson 14
Section One ~ Basic-Talk 114 ~ Common Idioms ~ Role Play Practice ~
A) When do you feel under the weather?
B) Let’s see, usually when I hear some bad news or when I don’t feel well.
A) How often do you catch a cold?
B) ________________________________________________________ .
(About once/twice/three times a year ~ Every ____ months/years ~ Almost never.)
A) What do you eat or drink or what medicine do you take?
B) Well, __________________________________________________ .
(I eat seaweed soup/I sleep a day or two/I drink tea/I take pills and capsules.)
A) What do you do when you get bad news?
B) Well, _________________________________________________ .
(I sometimes go to a movie/I usually go to the spa/I drink lots of wine.)
A) Do you know someone who isn’t playing with a full deck?
B) Yes, I do (If you don’t, just use your imagination).
A) Tell me about that person...
B) Well, he/she ___________________________________________ .
A) What activity is a piece of cake for you?
B) ____________________________________________________ .
(Cooking a meal for friends or family/Driving to the beach/Using social media is…)
Section Two ~ Form-Talk 114 ~ Qs with Common Idioms ~ Dialogue Practice ~
Idiom: Expressions whose meanings are not the same as the definition of its words.
Idioms often “paint a picture” in the mind and are often visual in nature.
Q1: A penny for your thoughts. What are you thinking right now?
Q2: What is the hot potato in the news these days? Tell.
Q3: What do you think is the best thing since sliced bread? Explain.
Q4: What costs an arm and a leg these days? Can you buy it?
Q5: What time do you usually hit the sack? Always the same time?
Q6: What do you do once in a blue moon? Tell.
Q7: Who do you often see eye to eye with? Why do you think so?
Q8: What chore is a piece of cake for you? Really?
Q9: What decisions force you to sit on the fence? Why?
Q10: What wouldn’t you be caught dead doing? Explain
Make some of your own questions using this form…
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.