~ How to Make a Lesson ~
1) In the first section, fill in the blanks, then practice your role plays on your own.
2) Then, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, perform the role plays you have created.
3) After that, perform your role play in class with a partner/several partners.
4) Finally, challenge yourself by performing the role play with no written cues.
5) In the second section, briefly discuss the form as a class. Avoid over-analysis.
6) Select two questions from the list. Practice with a partner, then in front of the class.
7) You may wish to discuss the form (section two) before the role play (section one).
The Language Works ~ Basic English ~ Lesson 16
Section One ~ Basic-Talk 116 ~ Idioms Using Time ~ Role Play Practice ~
A) In your country, tell about someone who hit the big time.
B) Let’s see... ___________________________________________________ .
(Lottery winners come to mind/My uncle bought stock in Starbucks way back when…)
A) Which country in the future world has the best chance for success, an easy bet?
B) Perhaps ______________ has the best chance for succeeding these days.
A) Why do you think so?
B) Well, _______________________________________________________ .
A) If you went to school again, what subject, at that time, would be ahead of its time?
B) ____________________________________________________________ .
(Obviously, biotech and epidemiology/Online education and conferencing/Anything new.)
A Do you have any relationships that stand the test of time?
B) Let me see. ___________________________________________________ .
(No. Most of my family has passed/A few. My younger sister…/Yes. Too many to count.)
A) Tell me about the best/worst time of your life?
B) Well, _________________________________________________________ .
Section Two ~ Form-Talk 116 ~ Qs with Idioms Using Time ~ Dialogue Practice ~
Idiom: Expressions whose meanings are not the same as the definition of its words.
Idioms often “paint a picture” in the mind and are often visual in nature.
Q1: Who is or was a person ahead of his/her time? Why?
Q2: What part of your culture is behind the times? Explain.
Q3: Tell us about when you had the time of your life? Tell.
Q4: What movie will stand the test of time? Why so?
Q5: When does time fly for you? Give an example.
Q6: Who is or was a person behind his/her time? Explain.
Q7: What part of your culture is ahead of the times? Explain.
Q8: Tell us about the worst time of your life.
Q9: What book will stand the test of time?
Q10: When doesn’t time fly for you? What makes you bored?
Extra: Expressing opinions
1) I think/ I guess _______________________ .
2) I don’t know, maybe ____________________ .
Make some of your own questions using this form…
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.