~ Topic 23 ~ Travel ~ Choose the questions you like ~
1) Have you ever been abroad? Where have you traveled? If not, where would you like to go?
2) Where have you travelled in your own country? What are your favorite places? Share your stories.
3) Do you like travelling alone? Who with? Have you ever met someone on your travels? Tell.
4) Have you ever been in a difficult or dangerous situation while traveling? What happened?
5) Have you ever taken a package tour? What are the differences between package and “free” travel?
1) What do you like to do when you travel? Do you like famous sites or prefer “off the beaten track”?
2) Where do you want to go the next time you travel? Do you have any plans yet?
3) Would you like to take a cruise? Where? If no, what don’t you like about cruises?
4) What are some popular tourist destinations in your country? How about off the beaten track?
5) Do you prefer travelling in cities or in the countryside? Explain.
1) Have you ever travelled to the same place or country more than once? What brings you back?
2) Have you ever been backpacking? Describe your favorite method of travel and places to stay.
3) Do you think your country is safe for travelers? Explain. How can travelers avoid danger?
4) Do you agree with the proverb, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”? What does it mean to you?
5) Describe an interesting person you’ve met on your travels. Do you keep in touch? How?
Group D: Discuss the following travel quotes
1) “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
2) “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
3) “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
4) “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
5) “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
Group E: Discuss the following travel quotes
1) “A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi
2) “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux
3) “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
4) “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
5) “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between
man and the universe.” – Anatole France
“Honor your mistakes, they will lead to learning...
Through this learning, more mistakes will be made…
Through this process, mistakes are no longer mistakes…
They become the act of learning.”
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.
~ Making a Lesson ~
1) To begin with, in groups, in pairs, or as a class, select the questions you’d like to talk about.
2) Then, in pairs or in groups, ask questions and share ideas in your conversations.
3) Finally, share your ideas (each individual) in a classroom discussion.
~ TLW ~ Conversation Questions for Free Talking ~