~ Dialogue ~ Topic 5 ~ Entertainment and Free Time ~ Discuss Questions and Answers ~
1) What is one of your favorite TV shows? Why do you like it? When is it on?
I like the CSI crime shows from the US mostly because of the suspense and the odd
storylines. The actors are cool and the script writing is often good. It’s on all the time.
2) Have you ever hosted or been to a party? What was the occasion? Tell.
I used to host parties often when I was younger. It’s a lot of work but friends were
always around to lend a hand. The occasion could be anything from seasons to birthdays.
3) Have you ever been to a concert, play, circus, or other kind of performance? Tell.
I go to concerts 2 or 3 times a year. Mostly rock bands. Sometimes I go to jazz festivals.
I’ve never been to a circus, but I went to a few plays in university. My friend was a actor.
4) Have you ever been to an amusement park? If so, describe your experience.
I went to Disneyland in Tokyo a few years ago. It’s huge. I recommend getting a map
and taking a sightseeing bus as soon as you arrive. Otherwise, you might waste lots of time.
5) Have you ever been to a casino? If so, describe your experience.
I went to Macau a year ago. There’s enough entertainment there to last a lifetime:
water shows, light shows, magic shows. You name it. Actually, I didn’t gamble very much.
6) Do you ever visit museums or galleries? When was the last time?
The last time I went to a gallery was when my co-worker had an exhibition. She paints
7) Do you play phone/computer/board games? If so, describe them.
I play phone games on long bus or subway commutes. It makes time pass swiftly.
I play chess with my friends on occasion. Computer games? I have no idea.
8) Talk about one of your favorite movies or books. Why do you like it?
My favorite book is the one I want to write. My favorite movie is the one I want
to direct. Besides that, I like “To Kill a Mockingbird,” both the book and movie.
9) What are some things you’d like to do but can’t afford?
I’d like to open a giant hotel where all the employees are homeless, all the guests
are refugees fleeing harm, all the energy is renewable, and all the food is grown on site.
10 What do you do in your spare time? What do you do for fun?
I play golf. I take my dogs for walks. I sing in the shower. I visit old friends randomly.
I fly kites. I drink wine. I ride public transportation. I cook for my family. I take naps.
~ Original Questions ~ Entertainment and Free Time ~ Choose the questions you like ~
1) What is the most popular drama/comedy/game show in your country, and
2) What is the story-line (drama) or format (comedy/game show)?
3) What did you watch on TV yesterday?
4) What is one of your favorite TV shows? Why do you like it? When is it on?
5) On what occasions do people have parties in your country?
1) Have you ever hosted a party? What was the occasion?
2) Do you like to listen to pop music? Why or why not?
3) Have you ever been to a concert? If so, describe your experience.
4) Do you have any favorite musicians or performers? Who are they?
5) Have you ever been to an amusement park? If so, describe your experience.
1) Have you ever been to a casino? If so, describe your experience.
2) What are some forms of gambling people do in your country?
3) Do you ever visit museums or galleries? When was the last time?
4) Do you play phone/computer/board games? If so, describe them.
5) Talk about one of your favorite books. Why do you like it? Who is the author?
1) Talk about one of your favorite movies. Why do you like it?
2) Do you have any favorite actors or celebrities (talents)? Who are they?
3) What are some things you can do without spending any money?
4) What are some things you’d like to do but can’t afford?
5) What do you do in your spare time? What do you do for fun?
1) What do you like to do on a night out?
2) Do you read newspapers or magazines? Which ones? Where do you like to read?
3) Do you ever listen to the radio? Which programs? What stations?
4) Who do you think is the funniest comedian?
5) Who is the most popular entertainer in your country?
~ Food for Thought ~ Topic 5 ~ Entertainment ~ Explore the Topic ~
Most Popular Hobbies
Most Popular Broadway Musicals
Most Popular Musicians of All Time
Most Popular Phone Games/Computer Games
Best Reasons to Host a Party
Lesson Procedures/How to make a lesson
1) To begin, as a class, in groups, or in pairs, select the questions you’d like to talk about.
2) Then, ask questions and share ideas in your conversations. Take notes. Take equal turns.
3) Share your ideas (each individual) in a classroom discussion (as prepared in 1, 2, and 3).
There are three sections for each topic:
1) Dialogue: There are ten selected questions presented with sample answers.
The sample answers are given to assist the learners in creating
their own answers. They tend to use a casual speaking style.
2) Original Questions: There are five groups of five questions with no answers.
They are introduced to give more choices to learners.
3) Food for Thought: Definitions, ideas, and links are offered for discussion and deliberation.
Explore the possibilities. Use the web. Make your own questions. Take equal turns.
~ Topic 5 ~ Entertainment ~ Questions for Conversation ~
“Honor your mistakes, they will lead to learning...
Through this learning, more mistakes will be made…
Through this process, mistakes are no longer mistakes…
They become the act of learning.”
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2020. All rights reserved.